Tuesday, December 13, 2016

NYC Winter and Izakya MEW


Izakya MEW 

I took a winter trip into the city on the 10th, the start of my PTO! This time around I had to plan this trip because I was being "tested" on the quality of date night. I was not excited about that joke. What I had on the agenda was to visit an Izakya, the name of the particular destination is what got me because I have an inside pet name associated to the title. Izakyas are a pub/bar like setting for the Japanese.  I've always wanted to go to one but till I get to Japan, a city based Izakya will have to do. I went to Izakya MEW located in Mid-town Manhattan. The food style of the bar is set with Traditional Japanese flavors mixed with modern tapas styles. The location of the bar is tucked between a Karaoke place and a Korean Restaurant. Once you enter you are set down into the basement greeted by artwork lining the walls in a film like manner. The size of the place does get crowded by the swam of people seated and waiting to be seated. I arrived at the location exactly at 5:30 pm, dinner opening time. The ambiance of the place is right up my ally with the rustic feel of the wooden table and bricks with lightbulbs dandling over your head. I enjoy places that are lined with lights and have a moody feel. That is one thing I look for when I eat and drink at a new location in New York. With the opening hour, I learned they had a happy hour special, Sapporo beer at 5$ and Wine at 6$, I opted for White Wine.  I did learn I enjoy Sapporo Beer compared to American Beer, it has a lighter taste and lemon note. 

Izakya Mew Dinner Menu

Seafood Garlic Shoyu Ramen
To start off I got Tofu Avocado Salad, which was impressive because of the big chunks of tofu. The dressing was not that notable, but still satisfying. For main dishes I got the Seafood Garlic Shoyu Ramen and Buta Miso Itame. The ramen did hit the spot, however I had better ramen. The standard I compare my ramen is to Rai Rai Ramen, it's open still btw which burned down awhile ago but is up and running again. When I get ramen it's important for it to be very hot and the noodles a bit on the firm side. The ramen at Mew owned the noddle component I look for however, the broth and toppings were on the cold side for me. What was exciting about the dish were the mini squid and octopus I got, I was so happy because they were rather cute. The next dish was Itame, a stir fry dish which was very tasty. You can taste the sweetness, the punch of the miso, and deep flavor of the soy sauce. The dish was made of pork and veggies. My only complaint again is the dish should have been warmer. To top off the meals I go two special drinks. I'll say the drinks were more worthwhile compared to the food
Mew Breezed, M-Nnog, and Sapporo

  1. M-Nog 9$
    1. Rum Chata
    2. Jameson
    3. Kahlua
    4. Almond Milk
    5. Caramel Chocolate
    6. Cinnamon 
  2. Mew Brezze 8$
    1. Sugan Cane Shochu Vodka
    2. Cranberry Juice
    3. Grapefruit Juice
    4. Tonic Water 

The M-Nog was so good, made with almond milk which has bit of thicker consistency compared to milk worked so well the alcohol. It appeased the burn of the liquor, leaving the flavor of the alcohol and allowing the taste of the holiday to pop through. The Mew Breeze was adorable and refreshing, the fruity accents complement each other and the novelty of the combination raised the drink's value. Overall, the drinks were not heavy. Sometimes after a big meal and drinking alcohol your stomach environment tends present  as more acidic. Chargeable to the lightness of the drinks, no stomach irritation. I did get a pleasant buzz and raise in temperature to help me survive the rest of the night.

Madison Square Park Tree

Madison Square Park 



After the meal it was time to see some sites. Usually people go to Radio City where the Grand Tree is near. I decided not to bother, because I did not want to tackle the crowds. At the same time Santa Con was happening, I know event tries to promotes an Anti-Drunk Mess Santa. To my dismay I did see few trying to raise hell and even 2 that almost go hit by a car. 

I walked to my destination so I can build up an appetite for later in the night. I made it to the location and for me it was a  throwback. Many moons ago, I did volunteer work at the location when they had a music/touch art installation. To be in the city during the holiday season manifest emotions from past ventures, friendship, and lovers. Having the ability to visit places I love and reflect on how time changed my life is very important for me. To reevaluate your life is part of mindfullness and it presents that you are an active player in the one life you have. 

After that site, I was walking down to NYU area because there is bar/pool hall I enjoy called The Fat Cat. The location has affordable drinks and games ranging from ping pong to scrabble. Some nights there is a live band playing. Also, for a FYI I know above the location is a 3-D printer work space. Getting into the Fat Cat was cut out because it was way to crowded, so I found my way to a LGBTQ friendly bar. I can't remember the name but they have  Cabaret performances. I enjoyed the energy of the bar. 

The terminal that ended the night was Artichoke Basile Pizza (111 Macdougal St Location), damn the artichoke pizza was amazing with the cost of about 6$ or 7$. It was worth everything, I think the location that is in Chelsea is the one with the restaurant where you can get a pie medley with pizza topped with assorted meat, penne vodka, and the signature artichoke.  The pizza crust was thick, had the crunch and on the inside the softness that is so comforting. The artichoke toppings was so creamy, good enough to place on pasta. I died and went to heaven, adding a few pepper flakes set me into oblivion. The next time I go into the city,  you (I) must have the trio order of what they offer. I do not care if I have to starve myself and workout for 3 hours to justify eating that much. It will happen. 

The adventure out that night was well needed and I hope you can find the same pleasantries as I do. With that said Peace out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment